Dunehelden Academy: Version 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(open) So what is this all about, anyway?

2 posters

Go down

(open) So what is this all about, anyway? Empty (open) So what is this all about, anyway?

Post by Korlian Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:25 pm

Korlian had been quiet and listening since the beginning of the year. He was here to learn; to learn about the people here as much or more of the classes being taught.

But one thing he just had not managed to pick up from listening. What was this 'Hallow-ween' everyone was talking about?

Last edited by Korlian on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Korlian
Korlian

Level : 1

Back to top Go down

(open) So what is this all about, anyway? Empty Re: (open) So what is this all about, anyway?

Post by Elspeth MacNamara Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Elspeth hummed the tune of "Come Little Children" as she walked through the courtyard, wanting to enjoy the weather while it was still relatively warm. She spotted a sophomore she'd seen before but not yet spoken to, and smiled at him in greeting. "Hi."
Elspeth MacNamara
Elspeth MacNamara

Back to top Go down

(open) So what is this all about, anyway? Empty Re: (open) So what is this all about, anyway?

Post by Korlian Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:10 am

Korlian stopped and smiled at her brightly. "Hello. What's that you were humming?"
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Elspeth MacNamara Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:12 am

Elspeth's smile widened a little, and she paused to answer. "It's called 'Come Little Children', from a film called Hocus Pocus. I'm dressing up as the character who sings it for Halloween this year."
Elspeth MacNamara
Elspeth MacNamara

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:25 am

Perfect, she gave him an opening. "You know, that's something I don't understand. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?"
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Elspeth MacNamara Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:45 am

Elspeth nodded, looking at him curiously. "Sure."
Elspeth MacNamara
Elspeth MacNamara

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:24 pm

"So, I think it should be fairly obvious I lack the background to understand without explanation. What is Hallow-ween? Everyone is talking about what they are wearing and there is a ball and I have not yet found anyone else to ask."
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Elspeth MacNamara Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Elspeth grinned. "It's a holiday. It has its roots in the festival of Samhain, but over the centuries most mortals have come to celebrate it differently. Unless they're Wiccans or druids or the like, those who still hold to the old Celtic gods and goddesses.

"Anyway. As far as most people in the mortal world are concerned, Halloween is basically about dressing up in costumes, eating sweets and scaring ourselves and each other silly, in any combination. It's really just an excuse to have fun. There are different ways of celebrating it in different parts of the world."
Elspeth MacNamara
Elspeth MacNamara

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Korlian tilted his head thoughtfully. "That explains the carved fruit, I suppose. A replacement of the turnips."

He wasn't quite sure how to respond to the comment about Wiccans or gods, and simply decided not to. "I can understand looking for excuses to have fun."
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Elspeth MacNamara Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Elspeth nodded. "Pumpkins are much easier to carve than turnips. That's part of the fun, too. The seeds are really good when they're spiced and roasted.

"So, you're thinking of going to the ball, then? Do you have any ideas for a costume yet? I'm sure my sister wouldn't mind if you collaborated with us. It might help if you watched Hocus Pocus first, though. Then you can decide if you even want to dress up as someone from there or not."
Elspeth MacNamara
Elspeth MacNamara

Back to top Go down

Post by Korlian Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:47 pm

"I only just learned what is going on, how could I possibly have made plans?" Korlian asked. "And I certainly have no desire to do anything with a group of people I do not know, based on a piece of media I have little knowledge of."

He knew a mortal would add something about appreciating the offer, but as he did not, and untruths were as a foreign language to him, he did not. He could speak them if he truly wished, but it was difficult and unpleasant. It was much easier, and more effective besides, to speak part of the truth in a manner to deceive. He did try to soften his previous comments, however."I appreciate the answer to my questions."
Korlian
Korlian

Back to top Go down

Post by Elspeth MacNamara Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Elspeth bit her lip, heat rising to her cheeks as she realized she'd clearly offended him. "That's true. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I just thought... you know, if you wanted to meet new people, learn new things, have fun..." She trailed off, looking away awkwardly. "You're free to do what you want, of course."
Elspeth MacNamara
Elspeth MacNamara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down